Thursday, August 19, 2010

Moon Report 8/19

Tonight's forecast finally called for a cloud free sky, and I couldn't wait to get out and sight up the moon.  The humidity was a little higher than ideal; 75%.  The view was a tad hazy, and a faint glow could be seen around the moon, but the air was pretty still.  I started setting up about 8:30; no reason to wait until complete darkness to view the moon.
It wasn't but a few minutes until I heard the buzzing of mosquitoes - talk about a party crasher.  I went out without bug repellent and didn't set up any fans; I wasn't planning on staying out long anyway.  I did, however, get some satisfying scope time identifying some of the major features using the map at InOMN.  Copernicus and Tycho looked great, and the Apennine Mountain range was a real pleasure.  I didn't last for more than 10 minutes, the mosquitoes were too much to deal with (btw, Burt's Bees Outdoor Bug Bite Relief works great).  I did manage to snap a few photos of Luna before heading in.  29 days until InOMN!

No comments:

Post a Comment